Dear Rising Kinder Families,
I look forward to meeting the new Kinders in August! Below is a list of supplies for your Kinder at school and a suggested reading list. Have a wonderful and safe summer!
Kindergarten Reading List 2017-2018
Miss Tera Stanford, Teacher
Research has shown that the single greatest factor in predicting reading success is whether a child is read to when young. Here are just some suggestions to get you started!
By: Donald Crews
Ten Little Fish
By: Audrey Wood
Hop on Pop
By: Dr. Seuss
The Mixed Up Chameleon
By: Eric Carle
By: Margaret Wise Brown
Any Easy Readers Level One
Summer Bridge activity book highly recommended for practice of taught skills in K-4.
Kindergarten Supply List 2017-2018
Miss Tera Stanford, Teacher
- Tri-fold sleep mat- 45”Lx19”Wx1”H (The mats are red & blue. Due to storage limitations in our room, we cannot allow mats that are larger than these dimensions. Any mat that is larger will be sent home and a new mat will have to be purchased. The required mat size is available at Wal-Mart.)
- 1 Back Pack (Please make sure the Back Pack can hold a small blanket for quiet time and a letter size folder; Please NO wheels, animal shaped, or messenger bags.)
- 1 Water Bottle (Because there is no water faucet in the classroom, the students will need to bring the water bottle daily to school filled with water only. Please make sure your child knows how to open and close the water bottle.)
- 2 BLUE sturdy plastic folders with pockets
- 1 pair round tipped scissors for school and 1 pair for home. (If your child is left handed, please make sure to buy him/her left handed scissors.)
Please label the above items with your child’s name. Thanks!
1 BLUE pencil BOX (8 x 5)
2 boxes Crayola crayons (16 count)
8 Elmer’s glue sticks
2 large boxes of tissue
2 reams of white copy paper
1 package of baby wipes
1 large container disinfectant wipes
1 package (10) Crayola washable markers
Girls: 1 package of white cardstock
Boys: 1 package of your choice of ONE Color construction paper (9×12)
1 bottle of hand sanitizer
1 package of SEASONAL (Halloween, winter, fall) stickers
1 photo of family in picture frame
1035 Hampton Street Columbia, South Carolina 29201
803 252-8285 www.StPetersCatholicSchool.org
A Note From Miss Stanford
I have enjoyed having your children in my class this year. It was so wonderful supporting their early developmental growth through songs, reading, games, laughter, play, learning, and SO MUCH MORE!! I hope you all have a fantastic summer filled with reading and playing!
Parent’s please check the online First grade newsletter to see the summer reading & supply list for the 2017-2018 school year!
Also, as we come to the end of the year; please remind your children to stay focused so we can have FUN!
In Class This Week
Reading: genre- informational text (texts & articles) comprehension- answer questions about details from a text, main idea, characters, and setting phonics- blend and read words orally, recognizing and reading high frequency words
writing: opinion writing, sentence writing *punctuation
Math: review all math skills with games
Religion: Jesus gave us air, joy, and life
Science: Health & Wellness
Homework: Practice Graduation speaking part 🙂
Important Dates & Reminders
June 1st- Kindergarten Graduation, 10 am, Neglia Hall, *Sunday’s Best *Regular Start to School Day